[OSM-talk] Relations (Re: Critical Mass for license change-over)

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 21:33:28 GMT 2012

On 1/28/2012 4:26 PM, Toby Murray wrote:
> The other major thing that no existing tools take into consideration
> is relations. They are mentioned on the "What is clean?" page but they
> aren't being factored into any existing algorithms. Not the easiest
> thing to show since some of them aren't even rendered on most maps...

Here there are two issues - membership and tags. Membership should be
easy enough to verify due to redundancy (e.g. the I-70 relation should
have all ways with ref:"I 70"), and tags are rather standardized. So it
should be fine to mark odbl=clean after verifying that it's a complete
route (easy to do if it's all dual carriageway or uses forward/backward
roles) and checking for nonstandard tags added by ungood mappers.

Relations such as bus routes that are not marked on their children are
more complicated.