[OSM-talk] Current Garmin units with "unlimited" tracklog?

Tapio Sokura oh2kku at iki.fi
Tue Jul 3 09:50:11 BST 2012

On 3.7.2012 10:54, Mike wrote:
> Oregon does saves tracklogs in GPX format. I believe every new model does.

That's what I understand as well. But after reading a few Garmin manuals
and googling around for a while I still haven't found a solid answer to
this question: How many trackpoints will the unit store before it begins
overwriting old ones or stops collecting new tracklog altogether?

Some sources seem to hint that the maximum amount of trackpoints a
single GPX file on new Garmins can contain is 10k, good for a bit under
3 hours of tracklog taken with 1 second interval. The maximum number of
distinct GPX files archived in the device could be 20, 200 or maybe even
"unlimited" (=limited by free memory on the device) depending on the source.

10k trackpoints times 200 files is 2 million trackpoints or about 23
days of continuous tracklog, which would probably be enough for me. But
does the auto-archiving/rotating feature produce tracklog files that are
of the assumed 10k maximum size?

Can someone confirm that tracklogs automatically archived by newer
generation Garmins can contain more than 10k points and/or have had more
than 20 or 200 automatically archived GPX files in the device at one time?

   Tapio