[OSM-talk] Cookies on OSM

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Wed Jul 11 13:53:13 BST 2012

(Change email address !!!)
Frederik Ramm wrote:

> On 07/11/12 14:03, David Earl wrote:
>> I am (I hope not naively!) assuming that OSM wouldn't indulge in any
>> intrusive cookie tracking which would require explicit consent.
>
> I believe OSM uses "Piwik" which is something like Google Analytics but without
> giving the data to a third party. That's probably the reason you are seeing this
> "pk" cookie.
THAT is interesting ... I need to look closer
I'm using my own port of Piwik on a faster database.

> I don't know if that requires explicit consent. It's not much more than looking
> at log files really but I'm not up to date on legislation.
Piwik requires explicit consent as it's not an 'essential' cookie
Even session cookies are still a grey area!

> (TBH I've seen a lot of "is it ok if we set a cookie" popups on UK web sites
> recently but none on German sites so I'm not sure if this is really an EU thing
> or just UK? Or UK being first in adopting some EU law into national law maybe,
> improbable as it sounds?)
The cookie directive was passed into law across EUROPE last May. The UK relaxed
implementation in an attempt to get the browser developers to handle the problem
centrally, but none have, so they now require that every website does the job
themselves.

I've ended up with a system which allows 'social media', 'piwik' and other
cookies to be switched off separately ... http://medw.co.uk/ is an example. But
I still need to link this in with the some of the third party elements fully yet.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL