[OSM-talk] [HOT] Licence change redactions occurring in Haiti in the next half hour

Jaakko Helleranta.com jaakko at helleranta.com
Sat Jul 21 12:58:05 BST 2012

Hi Bill / anyone interested to help in last minute fixing of Hispanola,
*(adding to talk at osm in case there would happen to be anyone with interest
and time to help)*

Super glad to hear of you... Unfortunately I've wasted your
to-be-contribution by a delayed response (having been swamped with other
work).

If you still have time more or less now or at least today I would advice to:
*Look through especially Santo Domingo's named roads *(created or named by
non-agreers)*.*

I'l advice with other cities you mentioned later.

*What has been done already in the area?*
* (especially) 42429 has done a tremendous job in cleaning (simplifying)
the priorly quite over-noded road grid and adjusting the geometries by
tuning the positions of most of the roads' nodes in Santo Domingo, which
me, my team in Haiti, and a few other contributors have continued from

* I went through nearly all of Santo Domingo's area yesterday with a few
JOSM filters, namely
highway=* -name=* -modified -odbl=*
which made it easy to check quickly the existence, classification (and
other possible tags) for roads without names (that is easy to do for me who
only knows a fraction of the road names there + was a very easy way to save
a lot of roads fast => totaled a tad over 1200 bits of road = ways)

* I also started to go through the named roads (for what I know) that you
can make easier to find by flipping the name key in the filter to
highway=* name=* -modified -odbl=*
Realizing how freaking fast the bot is and not being sure of it will
complete the rest of the Eastern hemisphere last night already

* I already deleted name tags of a few (main) roads (for which I don't know
the names for) +added the odbl=clean tag to them of course, which is
obviously the whole point of this exercise after all else is ok -- to make
sure those roads wouldn't get nuked. .. Adding the name to a road, I've
gathered, is significantly easier/smaller task  / can be done by a less
advanced person than remapping after probably at least somewhat messed
geometries when the bot has run over.

*SO:*
I'd advice to continue going through the roads that have names, which is
what I/we remote ppl w/out super-good (or any) local can't do.
- If you use JOSM then I'd recommend the filter above (and tick all the
boxes to hide all objects that don't match the filter.
- If you use P2, then simply tick on the license status from your options
if you haven't already and just go thorough all the red roads with name
that you see and that don't yet have odbl=clean tag on them (which you can
see in the Advanced mode) and add the odbl=clean tag as you see appropriate.
And as always (especially at this point): If you run into tags that you
can't stand behind (oneway, paved, lanes, what not) that have been created
by non-agreers, nuke 'em.

The bot status (with a global view that currently makes sense) is:
http://harrywood.dev.openstreetmap.org/license-change/botprocessing.php?zoom=3&lat=15.85147&lon=-153.37871&layers=B00FTTFFFFFF
and with the "recent areas"
http://grant.dev.openstreetmap.org/license-change/botprocessing.php

*As of now, we seem to have about 23 degrees longitude of bot processing
time* -- mostly in empty ocean areas -- to fix things. That *might not be
many hours.*

My very next step is to take an overview of other areas of DR, do as many
quick fixes as possible (like other unnamed roads in urban areas +
connecting bits of the road network + if I still find areas outside of SD
for which I know road names for).
I'll report back with my findings of other areas to check for names -- in
case you respond back and it seems that you (or some other) would magically
have the time to fix all of SD and would yearn for more ;)

Let me know if there's anything more you need / if I was unclear on
anything above.
Skype is good communication channel, as is IRC (#osm, #hot + I've created
#osm-ht and #osm-do in OFTC for hispanola, where you can find me as jaakkoh
or something alike). My GTalk/Jabber username is
jaakko at helleranta.comshould you/someone want to reach through that.

Cheers,
-Jaakko

--