[OSM-talk] City routing grid for Australia and the US

Svavar Kjarrval svavar at kjarrval.is
Sat Jul 21 23:56:32 BST 2012

On 21/07/12 21:21, Kai Krueger wrote:
> On 07/21/2012 01:05 PM, Simone Cortesi wrote:
>> Yes please,
>> I would like to do the same too...
>>
>> -S
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 8:56 PM, Svavar Kjarrval <svavar at kjarrval.is> wrote:
>>> I want to make a similar routing table file for my country. Any chance
>>> of giving us instructions on how to generate such routing grids of our own?
>>>
>>> - Svavar Kjarrval
>
> I have now pushed the code I used to generate those tables to github.
> ( https://github.com/apmon/RoutingGrid )
>
> It is a little java program that takes in a list of coordinates and
> city names and generates the html file for the routing grid.
>
> You can easily run it on your own list of coordinates / cities.
>
> Dennis, who is responsible for the OSRM server, was OK with me running
> the code against his server, and I suspect he wouldn't mind if others
> do the same.
>
> It uses Google's directions API as a reference, so it is subject to
> their terms. Currently they seem to allow 2500 requests per day, which
> would correspond to a maximum sized grid of 50 cities. It can cache
> the results from Google in a reference list, so you only need to query
> google once per city list.
>
> Kai

Thanks a lot! I had an idea of a larger list of co-ordinates and could
use this code to make a databased version. I'd probably have to host my
own OSRM instance so I wouldn't bombard the main one with so many
queries in a short time interval.

It would be a kind of a quality assurance checker where I'd not only
check links between cities/towns, but also links between some of the
addresses inside them. Maybe add important POIs in the country as well.
I really want the map to be of superior quality.

- Svavar Kjarrval