[OSM-talk] City routing grid for Australia and the US

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 09:01:33 BST 2012

I already shared this on talk-us but since I have some degree of
worldwide coverage I guess I'll share it here too.

I noticed that the bot sometimes removed the highway=* tag but left
the oneway=* tag in place. At least here in the US, most such ways are
a part of the interstate system and since they are missing the highway
tag, greatly impact routing.

So I queried for ways with a oneway tag but no highway tag and put
them on a map. I am pre-rendering the tiles using Maperitive so
worldwide coverage only goes down to z10. I have added up to z13 in
some areas and will add more for higher density areas. I have already
done the UK, Spain/Portugal, some of France and the big cities in
Australia down to z13. You can see the map here:
http://ni.kwsn.net/~toby/OSM/maps/redaction.html

Or use it as a tile URL in JOSM:
tms:http://ni.kwsn.net/~toby/OSM/maps/oneway/{zoom}/{x}/{y}.png

I hope this will help to get some of the major routing problems fixed
up since these problems are a simple fix: just add the appropriate
highway=* tag.

Toby