[OSM-talk] Naming disputes in Ukraine

Svavar Kjarrval svavar at kjarrval.is
Wed Jul 25 17:30:47 BST 2012

It does fall under OSM's jurisdiction to indicate what the official
names are and which are translations. If I'm a tourist in a country, I
need to know the names on the signs, not a renderer's guess or my native
language's name.

If the renderers have to guess, they have to create additional data for
each area and research which languages they should use in each of them,
instead of focusing on the rendering process itself.

- Svavar Kjarrval