[OSM-talk] Naming disputes in Ukraine

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Wed Jul 25 20:59:40 BST 2012

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 09:33:43AM +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I'd like to hear the opinion of others in OpenStreetMap about the
> following situation that Data Working Group has been asked to
> mediate.
>
> The official language in Ukraine is Ukrainian. To the untrained eye
> there's not much of a difference to Russian but of course the devil
> is in the detail, here's a street name example:
>
> name:ru = Фурманова улица
> name:uk = Фурманова вулиця

How has this been solved in Finland? They have a Swedish minority
which is a majority in some places in which case (i heard) the Swedish
signs are at the top, otherwise Finnish ist at the top.

Its a little bit different as both languages are official languages as
i remember.

I stick with a very simple rule - Whats on the road sign - that should
be in the database. If there is both - the one at the top should be
in name and the other in the appropriate secondary language tag.

You want to be able to identify the road sign by your map.

Flo