[OSM-talk] Naming disputes in Ukraine

Tirkon tirkon33 at yahoo.de
Fri Jul 27 03:56:43 BST 2012

Ben Laenen <benlaenen at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thursday 26 July 2012 11:48:39 Jo wrote:
>> Anyway, as far as OSM goes, it's the first mapper who maps something who
>> decides on which order is being used.
>
>Slightly more difficult: It's true that the first mapper decides for the
>region of Brussels-capital, which is bilingual. But in the "municipilaties
>with facilities" (to you foreigners: municipalities not belonging to Brussels
>and which thus have only one official language, but offer facilities in the
>other language, for example in schools and courts), the official language
>always comes first.
>

>> For street names I wouldn't mind French - Dutch consistently as French uses
>> Noun/Adjective whereas we use Adjective/Noun in Dutch (like in English, but
>> we write Parkstraat in one word, like in German...)
>
>That's what you often see in Brussels btw, like:
>
>Rue de
>  Quelque Chose
>      Iets
>           straat
>
>With names it can be compacted as
>
>Avenue
>   John Doe
>          laan

For me as a non native dutch/french this looks obfuscating.

Is this the way you find it on the streetname-signs or only in OSM?
For non native users of the map I would prefer to find the name tag in
OSM exactly as on the signs. Because i.e. a foreign Chinese or Russian
cannot read latin letters he only has the chance to compare the two
pictures from the map and the signs. And if the naming is shortened he
can only see different pictures.

>Anyway, it's a minefield but it looks like we've solved it well in osm. In the
>past years there has been the odd user changing the orders of names (which is
>considered vandalism), but it's very rare.

I mapped the street names in Sint-Genesius-Rode - Rhode-Saint-Genèse.
I heard people nearly only speaking french there and was not aware of
the heavy language dispute at that time. Thus I took the direction
french - dutch. (As well I filled in the name.fr and name:nl tag.)
Then a man living nearby told me that the belgium OSM community had
decided to write first the upper and then the lower sign into the name
tag. Thus he changed everything to dutch-french, which is the order
from the signs. After that other people changed some street back to
french-dutch. Since them I decided not to map there any more. ;-) I do
not want to be part of the dispute.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=50.74799&lon=4.36197&zoom=15&layers=M