[OSM-talk] [Imports] Import guidelines review

Worst Fixer worstfixer at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 11:16:12 BST 2012

>>> 1. I think that the discussion with community should be much earlier, probably right after you have found some data. Is it really useful data, if not then do not waste your time with all these technical preparations. With this flow you expect that there is default go-ahead for import, but every import should be well justified.
>>
>> If you stupid enough to not find difference between good and bad data
>> yourself you deserve wasting your time on writing tools. Arrows to
>> "discuss" go from almost all steps.
>>
>> Some maps can be in ugly format like FreeHand. Community will say "no
>> not import that ist shit".
>> But you can do nice clean up before. And community says "nice job, do import".
>
>  You do not decide imports based on source data technical format. Initial key question there could be: can the community really maintain the data after import, also do we get extra value from it or it is just nicer map image with poorer and poorer editing experience. For example we can have nation-wide cadastre data with good quality and format, but we do not import it. If you import streets of a city which does not have any map otherwise, then it is different case.

This ist not written in import guide lines now. I not feel it ist right to add.

Ich seen a not uploaded import of buildings traced by some clever
software. Major reason community rejected it ist "shape ist not gut".
Imorter should make data look nice before announcing to community.

>>> 2. Also, please have two branches: one leads to "Upload to OSM" , and another "share data" as .osm files without uploading, so manual copypasting/merging can be done by community. IMHO this should be often default and preferred option.
>>
>> Current import guide lines disagree with you. Ich also disagree with
>> you. "Import" ist when data goes to database, not to some random FTP.
>
> Right, technically it is not importing. It is using/sharing data without importing, soft import or manual import or whatever you like to call it. This can be done quite safely without much community involvement, just post the URL to local list explaining what data it.

It ist not importing, but it ist a large part of it. It should be not
on import guide lines. Import guide lines should only cover actual
imports.

>> You can also draw better import guide lines too. It ist easy.

> Btw, why you ask for comments if you cannot really take them?

Ich take them. You can see I redrawed schema already. But not in major
way that differs a lot from current guide lines.

--
WorstFixer, twitter: http://twitter.com/WorstFixer