[OSM-talk] [Imports] Import guidelines review

Steve Singer steve at ssinger.info
Wed Jun 6 12:34:34 BST 2012

On Wed, 6 Jun 2012, Worst Fixer wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Ich read current import guide lines. They are long. Hard to
> understand. Easy to ignore. Even established mappers some times fail
> following. Even when they want.
> Look: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines

> Ich also want this easy guide lines to be enforced by DWG. I will help
> finding people who ignore it.
>
> Nobody should be able to import loads of data without any discussion
> and escape a block and or revert.

Often we have situations like

1. Person emails @imports saying that they have really cool data and want to
import it.
2. People reply with 'don't do it because of X', or ask 'how are you dealing
with Y'
3. The person imports anyway.

This person discussed the import with the community but they still
shouldn't have gone forward with it.  If we are updating the guidelines
they need to be updated to address this.

Also a lot of imports fail on the uploading data step resulting in duplicate
or unattached nodes. Guideline updates should also address this (maybe
require importers to do a test import on dev and then revert the test
import on dev)