[OSM-talk] Presenting filter for openstreetmaps history RSS feeds

Pavel Melnikov positron96 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 09:36:14 BST 2012

Hello everyone! I've been a mapper for some years, and now I've decided to
do some coding. I've been using history tab in OSM website, but it is
usually filled with bot-generated changes that cover the half of the world.
I did not find any solutions to overcome this in osm RSS feeds, so I've
decided to make a filter that will filter out these large changesets in RSS
feed.

Now I present you guys this filter:
http://positron96.appspot.com/osmfilter.html .
At the moment the concept is simple: all changes with bounding box larger
that 20 degrees latitude or 40 degrees longitude are filtered out from the
feed. So far it's working for me, so I hope someone will find it useful too.

Usage is described in project page, and is mostly simple. You get a link to
history RSS feed from openstreetmaps site (something like
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changesets/feed?bbox=2.28907%2C48.84799%2C2.32597%2C48.8644)
and insert it into the only textbox on the page. First button will lead you
to filtered feed, second button will show you feed to filtered feed.
URL for filtered feed can be created manually, syntax is:
http://positron96.appspot.com/osmfilter.rss?feed=
<url_of_source_osm_rss_feed>

Any comments, suggestions and reports are highly appreciated.