[OSM-talk] Wikimapia data now under cc-by-sa

Jaakko Helleranta.com jaakko at helleranta.com
Thu Jun 14 14:47:04 BST 2012

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 9:24 AM, Arun Ganesh <arun.planemad at gmail.com>wrote:

> If this data covers the geographical coordinates which have been derived
> from google maps service, then it doesnt make any sense.

Sense or no sense?

I guess it depends among other things on whether you think (and the
jurisdiction you are in thinks) that coordinates can be copyrighted in any
way, if individual coordinates can't be copyrighted -- but that lists of
coordinates (or databases) can be copyrighted (case from Finland: the list
of "namedays" is copyrighted but individual "namedays" aren't), whether
deriving coordinates (one by one) from imagery has to do with copyrights or
TOS issues, etc.

OSM community at large wants to be very clearly on the safe side on these
(which I think makes all the sense in the world for a project like this).
Someone else having a slightly different opinion is just that--an opinion,
a stance--until proven in court or being hunted down and squeezed to death
by corporate lawyers, I guess.

Cheers,
-Jaakko

--