[OSM-talk] new bing hires updates not visible in JOSM?

Fri Jun 15 07:13:32 BST 2012

At 2012-06-12 17:39, maning sambale wrote:
>As the subject says, we spotted new imagery from Bing.  Potlatch2 can
>load the imagery, but JOSM still shows the lowres Landsat image of the
>same area.
>
>This area for reference:
>http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=9.305565&lon=123.308057&zoom=18

Using JOSM r5181:

In that area, I can get down/in to zoom 19, dated 2011-09-14. This is
0.3m/pel (~30m on the 1" scale bar) - enough to see individual cars and the
buildings with which some OSM ways are poorly aligned :) Unfortunately,
there is some cloud/fog-cover that obscures some areas completely.

The high-res extends west only to ~123.265 deg longitude and, when zoomed
down/in further than about zoom 14 (9.4m/pel (1":940m)), there is no
imagery at all west to ~123.245 deg (a swath ~2200m wide), before the zoom
13 (18.8m/pel, 1":1880m) imagery area. That should probably be reported.
Bing tends to have these at interfaces between different image sets, but
there are usually just a few meters, unlike this one.

The imagery cache path is given in the Preferences dialog, Advanced
Preferences, key imagery.tms.tilecache_path. Under that directory, there
are separate directories for each particular WMS/TMS source, each of which
contain a ton of files. I don't know what it's like on a Mac, but it takes
many hours to remove those directories on Windows (the subject of a recent
JOSM change request) if you want to flush the cache. You can also flush the
cache for a particular source by creating a layer with it in JOSM, then
right-clicking (or whatever your context-menu-key is) and choosing "Flush
cache". This may be quicker, or not.

Lastly, or maybe firstly, check the Imagery URL you are using
(Preferences->Imagery Preferences). It should be
"bing:http://www.bing.com/maps/".