[OSM-talk] Map Co-ordinates for towns, etc in UK

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Fri Mar 2 20:16:18 GMT 2012

I have found some interesting stuff whilst playing with routing on
http://open.mapquest.org (which uses OSM). Have found that it cannot
route to Shrewsbury.

Have found that the town waypoint has been put in the middle of a retail
area, with pedestrianised streets around. Am guessing it is because it
is too far from a road. It works if I ask for High Street, Shrewsbury.

Have moved it so that it is close to High Street and once mapquest has
updated the map I will see if it works again. But maybe this is
something else we should consider.

A good example of TomTom/google getting it wrong is Ironbridge, where it
leads you into a back street, rather than the centre i.e. the bridge.

Phil