[OSM-talk] problem when trying to use osmconvert / osmupdate / osmfilter to keep a filtered planet extract up to date

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Sat Mar 3 01:01:39 GMT 2012

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 6:52 PM, Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I thought I had found a nice way to keep a filtered planet extract (by
> geographic extent *and* specific tags, in my case bridges in the US)
> up-to-date by using osmconvert[1], osmupdate[2] and osmfilter[3]. This
> was going to be my workflow:

I asked a similar question, but geared towards osmosis, some time ago on help:
http://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/4065/getting-specific-poi-data-and-keeping-them-up-to-date

I don't currently have read access to the part of my brain that holds
my memory of implementing Frederik's suggestions, but I will revisit
that as well.
Anyway, I thought it an interesting exercise to try and use this
toolset on a similar problem and gain some experience using the tools
mentioned here. They are very, very fast. Updating the US planet
extract with about a day's worth of changes takes ~3 minutes, the
filtering ~4 minutes (on an AMD Phenom 965 machine with 16GB RAM).

--
martijn van exel
geospatial omnivore