[OSM-talk] Google Summer of Code

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Mar 5 22:06:26 GMT 2012

Hi,

On 03/05/2012 10:08 PM, Graham Jones wrote:
> To take part OSM has to provide a list of 'project ideas' for
> challenging, but achievable projects, then offer a mentor to help the
> successful students achieve their project goals.

In my opinion, it would be very much desirable to actually have
individual students who *are* *already* *active* in OSM suggest a
project that they would like - and feel capable - to do, and then use
these ideas in our application.

Or, if that is not possible, at the very least have someone who has a
very concrete idea of what needs doing and who says "this is what needs
doing, and I am willing to mentor it".

GSoC is not a wishing well. If people are dropping their "someone should
really do X" ideas on the wiki page and not even willing or able to
mentor it then that is, in my eyes, asking for trouble...

Bye
Frederik