[OSM-talk] Google Summer of Code

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 22:31:12 GMT 2012

Frederik Ramm wrote

> In my opinion, it would be very much desirable to actually have
> individual students who *are* *already* *active* in OSM suggest a
> project that they would like - and feel capable - to do, and then use
> these ideas in our application.
>
> Or, if that is not possible, at the very least have someone who has a
> very concrete idea of what needs doing and who says "this is what needs
> doing, and I am willing to mentor it".

I think a project that is sugested by someone *already* *active* in the OSM
development community and is a project that was on their (long) todo list
already can be fairly valuable. The chance that they would then take on the
project after GSoC is finished if the student doesn't continue them self is
hopefully sufficiently large to make it worth it.

It does seem like a good opportunity to finally get a start in one of those
projects one always wanted to do. Assuming one is willing to mentor it.

Kai