[OSM-talk] Nice problem to have

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 02:45:36 GMT 2012

Richard Fairhurst wrote

> * More contributors. We've had people come into IRC saying "I want to
> fix this park name, how do I do it?". Regular IRCers have been reporting
> a noticeably greater number of new editors in their areas. Or as someone
> just asked on IRC: "hmm did the apple fanbois drink the OSM koolaid and
> crash our servers with zealous mapping?"

Just to add some numbers to this claim. This week (beginning on the 1st of
March) there were a little more than 2300 mappers who have contributed the
first time to OSM[*]. This is considerable more than the average of 1300 -
1400 new mappers per week in the recent past. This imho shows that the
publicity of Apple and Foursquare using OSM directly resulted in new mappers
for OSM. Although it isn't the complete record, that was around the 13th of
September 2009 (anyone know if there was a special occasion arount that
time?), it is the second highest number yet. Furthermore, with the news so
fresh, perhaps we will still beat the record.

The complete graph can be found at
http://apmon.dev.openstreetmap.org/new_mappers_per_week.eps and I'll
hopefully soon update the graph on the wiki stats page (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Stats )

Kai

[*] The statistic is calculated from the weekly changeset dump. I.e. the
week in which an account first shows up in the changeset files, i.e. their
first edit. There are currently 233002 out of 554709 accounts who show up in
the changeset file or 42%.