[OSM-talk] Survey about Incentives to contribute to OSM

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Wed Mar 14 15:10:00 GMT 2012

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Dominik Wilmsen <wilmsend at gmail.com> wrote:
> We would like to invite you to participate in a survey on motivations
> and obstacles to contribute
> geographic information to
> OpenStreetMap. OpenStreetMap is a collaborative project to create a
> free editable map of the world.

Dear OSM contributors, and survey authors,

You might not be sick of nonsense survey authors requesting our
personal information to "study our project".  You might even be
tempted to reply and to fill in their survey.

If you do, please, first find evidence that you are responding to a
legitimate survey from an accredited research institution.  And that
it has appropriate oversight and privacy guidelines.

Not everybody who uses "surveys" to collect personal information is
doing so in your best interest.  In fact, they could not possibly be
doing so.

Two surveys, broadcast on our networks within a week?  This stinks of
a new trend.