[OSM-talk] Lightning fast car routing built on OpenStreetMap data, with draggable routes

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sat Mar 17 13:40:40 GMT 2012

Philip Barnes wrote:
> Crossing the Pennines on the A66 is strange, continuing on the M6 is the
> more normal route. Also crossing from the M2 to M20 to get to Dover is
> strange, for a car the M2-A2 directly to Dover is quicker. Most routing
> software does seem to prefer the tunnel over the ferry.
>
> http://open.mapquest.co.uk, which also uses OSM mapping provides more
> normal routing, certainly for the UK stage. Although it does seem to
> struggle with routing in South Eastern Europe.

I must say I'm seeing the same strange effects on routing in the UK. Although
mapquest is a little slower, it does at least pick up the faster roads rather
than routes that are perhaps 0.5km shorter but using roads with many roundabouts
rather than the adjacent motorways or dual carriageways with none.

That and I could not drag the route to use the more practical roads on Seamonkey.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL