[OSM-talk] Lightning fast car routing built on OpenStreetMap data, with draggable routes

Jean-Marc Liotier jm at liotier.org
Sat Mar 17 13:59:53 GMT 2012

On 03/17/2012 02:17 PM, Philip Barnes wrote:
> The Inverness to Athens route does seem a bit bizarre. Not what I
> would have expected.
>
> Crossing the Pennines on the A66 is strange, continuing on the M6 is
> the more normal route. Also crossing from the M2 to M20 to get to
> Dover is strange, for a car the M2-A2 directly to Dover is quicker.
> Most routing software does seem to prefer the tunnel over the ferry.
>
> http://open.mapquest.co.uk, which also uses OSM mapping provides
> more normal routing, certainly for the UK stage. Although it does
> seem to struggle with routing in South Eastern Europe.
>
> Google takes you through Italy and across the ferry to Greece, am
> not sure of the relative merits of this route, over traveling
> overland but it does start to ring alarm bells of real border
> crossings and the need for additional insurance.

I went to Istanbul from France through the Croatian coast and Greece on
the way in and through Italy on the way out. Apart from the touristic
merits of either, Italy is certainly a faster way.

Strangely, OSMR won't give me a route through the Igoumenitsa-Brindisi
ferry though the Mapnik render does show a ferry line between them...
I'll have to take a look at the data. Without that ferry crossing, the
route through Italy is not as short - which might explain the routing
service's preference for the continental route.