[OSM-talk] World Bank and Open Geo-data for Development

Kate Chapman kate at maploser.com
Tue Mar 20 06:17:24 GMT 2012

Hi All,

There was some discussion here a couple months ago about the World
Bank signing a partnership with Google.

This has changed a bit and yesterday they posted on their blog saying
World Bank "supports citizen-mapping efforts that give users free
access to the map data they create." (1)

I think this is really exciting for OSM, some of us have already been
working with the World Bank for a while.  I wrote a post on HOT's blog
about my feelings on it (2) as did Development Seed (3).

Clearly it is a really exciting time for the project.

Best,

-Kate

(1) http://blogs.worldbank.org/insidetheweb/maps-for-open-development
(2) http://hot.openstreetmap.org/updates/2012-03-19_the_world_bank_and_open_maps_for_development_im_excited