[OSM-talk] Group relation proposal

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Thu Mar 22 12:27:40 GMT 2012

Hi.
I think, the name of the relation is far from optimal, but the basic
idea is not the worst, and we already use a similar approach in nested
Multipolygon-relations.

But:
1) "type=group" is far too unspecific and misleading, as it's NOT
intended to group similar items together (like a category), but to form
abstract, unnamed, but common objects to be reused. This is in general
the same as forming one outer-area in a multipolygon relation out of
several non-closed ways.

2) For the Public transport example I see a major drawback for stops. A
common road with several (bus) stops may be shared by different busses,
but some the busses may omit different stops where they don't stop. This
would require again either to split the common part to several ones (not
much better than using the ways directly now), or to use different
relations/to use the relation only for some of the routes sharing the
same way. But then it does not get that much easier than it is now.

3) Lacking tool support (that's not a good argument, but nevertheless I
fear, these relations will for quite a while break most tools and maps
using Public transport information, one of the IMHO best showcases of OSM.

regards
Peter