[OSM-talk] About GSOC 2012

Andun Sameera andunslg at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 15:44:45 GMT 2012

Dear Sir,

I have download the source code of CycleStreet app and did some
checking. So according to my understanding it mainly focus on cycle
rides near London. Also data is little bit low outside those major
cities. We can plan some routes using that application.
Anyway considering the project "OSM Application for Android " is it
good or bad to develop that CycelStreet app?  Because the connection
between OSM Application for Android and  CycleStreet map is less. I am
asking this because I have less knowledge about it.
Anyway CycleStreet have good features like GoogleMaps, Also i have
identified some potential features that can be added. So what is your
idea sir.

Thank You

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 12:57 PM, Andun Sameera <andunslg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Graham,
>
> Thank You Sir for the detailed instruction set. As you said I am
> currently doing some playing with OSM. Also I am doing some research
> for choosing a specific idea. Soon I will choose one.
>
> So if I choose one form that idea list, I have to give my proposal
> saying what I am going implement that project idea. Simply my plan.
> Isn't it?
> Also can I put proposal's to more than one project from your organization?
>
> Thank You Sir
>
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 12:12 PM, Graham Jones <grahamjones139 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Andun,
>> It looks like you have a lot of experience that will be useful for an OSM
>> based project  - please remember to refer to this when you apply!.
>>
>> I would recommend that in addition to the suggestions on general
>> familiarisation with OSM that I sent you earlier, that you do some research
>> into the project ideas that you are interested in.   I put some notes in one
>> of the Android based ones, which is are relevant to all of them - basically
>> I would like to see development of an existing android application, rather
>> than starting a new one, unless your proposal is for something particularly
>> novel, as there are quite a lot around (search the OSM wiki for 'android').
>>
>> Based on this research and your experience with using OSM and its related
>> tools, I would focus on a smaller number of project ideas to decide which
>> one to turn into an application.
>>
>> I would then prefer to see questions along the lines of 'I have thought
>> about this project idea, and think it would be good to do X and Y - does
>> anyone have any suggestions for improving this?
>>
>> You will see from the application template on the GSoC site, that we are
>> looking for you to turn our very general project idea into a proposal that
>> will say what you are proposing to do, an indication of how you will do it
>> etc.
>>
>> Please ask for clarifications of the project ideas on this list, because we
>> have not allocated mentors to projects yet.
>>
>> Also please put a draft application onto the GSoC web site as early as
>> possible so that we can see it and suggest areas for improvement, rather
>> than leave it until the last minute before uploading it, when it is too late
>> to change it.
>>
>> Regards
>>

>> Graham.
>>

>> On 22 March 2012 01:16, Andun Sameera <andunslg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear Graham,
>>>

>>> I read the idea page and find out that following projects are really
>>> interesting and have a good potential for me,
>>>
>>> 1 - Improve / Create Simple Android OSM editor
>>> 2 - OSM Application for Android
>>> 3 - Offline Map Viewer App with Notes - Enhancing NeoMap App for Android