[OSM-talk] GSoC 2012 Application

Ishan Agrawal ishan.agrawal90 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 16:34:49 GMT 2012

Hi All,

I am currently a Computer Science undergrad at National University of
Singapore. I am really interested in collection and distribution of
geo information and the cool applications that can be built on this
geo data. I have worked on some projects on location based application
and navigation systems. I am interested in exploring this further and
thus I very interested in working on a OSM project for GSoC.

These are the projects that I am interested in:
1) OSM Application for Android
2) Map for Visually Handicapped
3) Games based on OSM data
4) Friend Finder (Social Media Application Using OSM data)
5) Indoor Mapping and Navigation (i want to propose this project)

I have done some relevant projects that are quite similar to these:

1) CorruptionTrak: It is a Android application I did for India, which
helps people report cases of corruption and geotag the reports. The
reports are displayed on a heat map of India and also on a live feed.
We are now working with an NGO in India to act on these reports of
corruption. I recently showcased this app at a competition at CeBIT12
in Hanover, Germany and it was selected as the top 10 most innovative
apps in 400 applications from 42 countries. There is also a web
interface with an admin system to verify and approve reports.

2) I worked one year in RocketFuel, a online advertising Silicon
Valley startup, developing their real-time bidding system, working on
improving inefficiency and refactoring the code to make it more
scalable for international expansion. I gained a lot of technical
skills working there which have really helped me gain some practical
programming experience.

3) A research project in my University on traffic and naivgation data
analysis using Hadoop distributed programming. This project helped me
realize the impact of improvements in traffic and navigation problems.

4) Currently I am researching under a professor at my University on
Indoor Navigation and Mapping using just a Android phone without using
external sensors. I am looking into the best ways to do it and found
some interesting work being done at OSM on it on the wiki
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Indoor). I am not sure how to
contact the people working on it for mentorship and to see how best I
can contribute to it. Also, would be ok if this project is not listed
on the ideas page and I propose it?

I have some interesting ideas for the projects on the Android App,
Games on OSM data and the Map for Visually Handicapped project. Where
can I discuss them and who would be the best person to talk to
regarding these?

Looking forward to an exciting summer coding and mapping!

Regards,
Ishan Agrawal