[OSM-talk] Geofabrik downloads post-licence-change

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Mar 23 06:56:18 GMT 2012

Hi,

    this is a small heads-up to users of the Geofabrik downloads from
download.geofabrik.de.

After the OSM license change is complete and the first ODbL planet is
published, it will take another day or so to generate the first round of
extracts and shape files, and daily production will then resume
normally, with all extracts published under ODbL.

However, to avoid people downloading the new, differently-licensed
extracts without knowing, we will change the download URL (most likely
from /osm/... to /openstreetmap/...). The last version of the CC-BY-SA
extracts will remain, un-updated, under /osm for a while, and then we
will make  /osm point to a big "url has changed" page.

There will be no automatic redirects.

Bye
Frederik