[OSM-talk] Database Rebuild scheduled to start on the 27th of March 2012

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Sat Mar 24 15:42:12 GMT 2012

Simon Poole writes:
 > We've been through this multiple times, but here we go again:

Obviously not enough times, because I hadn't heard of this before. I
was under the impression that when I said that my edits were in the
public domain, everybody believed me. I think other people probably
think the same thing.

 > b) the meaning of the PD-checkbox can't be reinterpreted after the fact

Yes, it can, and it should be. If I make a public declaration that I
do not intend to pursue copyright claims against anybody, or that I
think copyright law should not exist, or that my copyright is invalid,
or that my works are in the public domain, then I am very unlikely to
prevail in a copyright suit. The judge is going to say "You don't
think you have a copyright -- why should I?"

If you say you don't have a copyright, you don't. It worries me that
the OSMF is not pursing the PD declaration. It's as if the OSMF hasn't
talked to a lawyer, and is just making up reasons for doing things.

Sorry to keep pushing so hard on this, but why delete map data
unnecessarily? Why delete MY data unnecessarily?

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog