[OSM-talk] ODbL-clean Coastlines

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Sat Mar 24 16:44:49 GMT 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Russ Nelson" <nelson at crynwr.com>
To: "Paul Norman" <penorman at mac.com>
Cc: <talk at openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 24, 2012 2:42 PM
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] ODbL-clean Coastlines

> Paul Norman writes:
> > I have been running a nightly coastline generation on my server, using
> > the
> > latest data from my jxapi server. Tonight I switched it over to filter
> > out
> > data that WTFE reports as dirty. This is somewhat more aggressive than
> > the
> > rebuild will be, but the results are worrisome.
>
> Nahhhh, not particularly. If you've looked at the PGS, you'll see that
> it is 99% crap. My problem with it is that 1) it's public domain, 2)
> imported by an anonymous user, 3) I fixed it in my region, leaving
> nothing remaining from the original import except the node and way
> existence, BUT (you knew there was a but) without the odbl=clean tag
> that I added, it would have been deleted. Or, at least, OSMI says it
> would have been deleted.
>
> Why are we deleting public domain data from OSM? If it says
> source=PGS, it should not be deleted no matter who did the import.
> If it was subsequently edited by a decliner, well, that's different.

I guess there are at least two problems.

Firstly the PGS import script had a "simplification factor" variable, which
the person running the import could change.  I know that prior to doing my
imports I played "around with" a number of different values for this
variable to strike what I thought  was an acceptable trade off between
number of nodes created, and the complexity of the resulting ways.
Therefore what was uploaded to OSM was not simply PGS data, but was PGS data
as amended by my decision making process.  I guess you would have to know if
the user who did the imports in question made any similar changes.

Secondly you could use the PGS import script in two ways.  Either (i) run
the script against the PGS data and let the script directly upload to OSM ;
or (ii)  use script to create an OSM file, which could then be edited in
JOSM, and then use JOSM to upload the data.  If choosing method (ii) you
were then able to look at the data in JOSM and make corrections to it before
uploading to OSM.  Although when doing my imports I started using (i) I
later switched to method (ii) because that way what I uploaded to OSM was
more error free. Had I now been a CT decliner I see no legal difference
between the resulting data in this instance and data which "If it was
subsequently edited by a decliner, well, that's different".

David