[OSM-talk] Worst of OSM

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Tue May 15 17:25:06 BST 2012

On 15 May 2012 15:37, Pieren <pieren3 en gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Kate Chapman <kate en maploser.com> wrote:
>> Personally I think it is discouraging. I think positive encouragement
>> is much better than this negative method.
>
> The problem is that this page is mixing real mistakes (mainly bad
> imports) and areas where the geodata do not comply with the author
> priorities or what the author thinks about what should be mapped first
> (mainly good imports). He is probably restrained by his personal
> experience where mapping must start with major roads, places names
> then minor roads, all with GPS and then, landuse, buildings,
> addresses, etc with hires aerial imagery, all surveyed by an army of
> local enthusiasts.

The site seems to mostly make fun of the current resulting state of
the map, rather than the process that led to that state.  I'd compare
it to http://googlemapsfail.tumblr.com/ rather than argue whether it
is useful to OSM or not.  If it hadn't been created now, someone else
would create one at some later point.

Maybe the fact that it's German (assuming that it is) is a sign of
OSM's popularity there, and approaching Google Maps.

Cheers