[OSM-talk] Import of buildings in Chicago

Worst Fixer worstfixer at gmail.com
Sun May 27 16:54:31 BST 2012

Hello.

There is on going import of Buildings in city Chicago.

Import is held by following account:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/chicago-buildings

I found no discussions of this import. No announcement. I searched bad?

It is absent from following web page:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Catalogue

I want know why importer uses following tags:

* chicago:building_id (314 330 objects, used by 2 users).

I sent letter to importer, and he said he will not import this tag any
more. But, he continues to. No justification of need for tag was given.

* addr:street:name (173 882 objects, used by 7 users),
* addr:street:prefix (173 882 objects, used by 3 users),
* addr:street:type (173 874 objects, note: different numbers, used by 7
users)

Not discussed anywhere. Used by low number of users. Not documented. No
justification for this tag was given.

If not needed this tags are, I hope they will be removed and not imported.
Not sure who does that remove: I, Ian Dees, Frederik Ramm or some other
body.

We have data working group. Data working group ban, delete, revert. Have we
working group will help clean imports, not ban? I want not ban chicago
building import. I want clear answers for reasons why it is done this way.
I think it can be better. I found this on wiki, but it seems dead:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Foundation/Import_Support_Working_Group

--
WorstFixer, twitter: http://twitter.com/WorstFixer