[OSM-talk] Import of buildings in Chicago

Alan grunthos503 at yahoo.com
Sun May 27 19:53:42 BST 2012

On May 27, 2012, at 11:40 AM, Ian Dees wrote:
> Worst Fixer wrote
>>
>> I want know why importer uses following tags:
>>
>> * chicago:building_id (314 330 objects, used by 2 users).
>>
>> I sent letter to importer, and he said he will not import this tag any
>> more. But, he continues to. No justification of need for tag was given.
>>

> As I discussed with you, I am no longer uploading data with the tag and will

I object.

An ID tag is highly useful for future reconciliation and/or synchronization later.  And the "chicago:" namespace is, in my opinion, definitely the correct way to do it, because it clearly defines the scope of the id.  The chicago:building_id should stay.    Not including it is "dumping data" into OSM; including it is enabling collaborative use.

- Alan