[OSM-talk] OSM : It's a shame !!!

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Tue May 29 09:10:30 BST 2012

On 2012-05-29 09:49, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> On 5/29/2012 3:00 AM, Maarten Deen wrote:
>> On 2012-05-29 08:41, Thomas Davie wrote:
>>> "It's So Funny" has not copied your data here, he has simply
>>> modified
>>> it (in this case, changing highway=residential to
>>> highway=unclassified). When the redaction bot is unleashed, if you
>>> have still not accepted the CTs (do you have a particular reason
>>> not
>>> to?), this data will be deleted. There is no problem here.
>>
>> It's So Funny changed a way that was created by CeesW on 2012-01-09:
>> <http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/144917597/history>
>>
>> The previous way was deleted by CeesW in the same changeset.
>> <http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/way/7539781/history>
>>
>> So the person to confront would be CeesW, not It's So Funny.
>> Offending
>> changeset seems to be
>> <http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/10345339>
>
> I don't see anything wrong with CeesW's change either:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/7539781/history
>
> AND has accepted the CT. The only thing cetest did was change
> unclassified to residential. This was kept by CeesW, but the whole
> area is a residential landuse, so I see no problem with that tag.

The official stance from AND is that the data in the OSM database on
march 1 2010 can be used under ODbL, but previously not-entered data
from the original dataset is also not allowed to enter OSM under ODbL.
That clarification came on april 5th (discussed on talk-nl):
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-nl/2012-April/013870.html

This is months after the changes made by CeesW. So his actions
(deleting and recreating) were extremly premature, in hindsight
unnecessary and can be called strange at any point in time.
You'd almost think it was an error on his part, but deleting and
recreating the same ways in the one changeset does not support that view
very much.

Regards,
Maarten