[OSM-talk] OSM : It's a shame !!!

Emilie Laffray emilie.laffray at gmail.com
Tue May 29 11:18:38 BST 2012

Hello,

First of all, let me just say it is indeed impolite to share private
conversation but I would love to see that tested in a court.
That said, the whole point of people in FOSM waiting for OSM to fail is
kind of annoying. I understand why the fork happened (doesn't mean that I
agree with it); I understand why some people are reacting the way they do
but I have to admit it is getting ridiculous.
FOSM is a fork. It is a conscious statement that you wanted to break away.
I am glad that you guys had that *freedom* in the first place (despite all
the FUD that the new contributor terms won't allow forking) and I wish you
the best of luck in this project as I wish the best of luck to other
mapping projects like Common map for example. Now, you decided to leave the
project so just leave it. I am not going to go to FOSM and ask for my data
to be deleted playing on my moral right for example (even though sometimes
I am seriously tempted to ask for my data to be removed out of exasperation
due to the behaviour of some members of FOSM).
If you strongly believe that ODbL won't stand the legal scrutiny, mount a
legal challenge to it. Just do it. That said, you have to realize that ODbL
is currently the licence that is being used more and more in France for
OpenData and actually across the world having being reviewed by several
legal departments. You may not agree with the way it was drafted but it
seriously look like it has some legs.
If you point out elements that have been copied, we will be happy to make
sure that people is not copying from your data. Anyway up to a point, the
data will be replaced and the very use of copyright on fact is tenuous at
best. I think from that point of view, despite all the mistakes the
foundation made during the process (we are after all volunteers), the
foundation has shown lot of willingness to sort many issues; it just that
at some points we can only agree to disagree hence why there was a fork.
You are just trolling. You are not even constructive towards FOSM. From the
way I look at it, FOSM is only a half hearted fork where there are only a
few people actually contributing, the rest of them is just sulking that OSM
didn't go their way. Maybe it is time to be more constructive towards the
choice that you made. From that point of view, I really appreciate the work
of some people in FOSM who are actually being constructive.

In short, feel free to complain when your data is *REALLY* used wrongly.
Else, put up or shut up regarding the ODbL. If you really believe that it
is not going to work, mount a proper legal challenge.

Emilie Laffray