[OSM-talk] Data copied from Google Maps

Andrew MacKinnon andrewpmk at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 18:25:33 GMT 2012

> I strongly suggest to contact DWG and not try to do some clean-up action on
> your own.
>
> How certain are you that the source tag refers to the coordinate? Culd also
> be the phone number of a shop found by a google search, right?
> Each of these occurences has to be checked and the mapper contacted.
>
> I assume someone intending to copy data from google would not not set a
> source tag. So the places you found must be cases where the mapper believes
> it's OK to use that data.

I strongly suspect that most/all of these occurrences (other than the
Haiti data) are copyright infringement. Is copying from Google search
acceptable anyway? It seems to be mostly new users who are the
offenders, and I discovered this because I have seen new users add
data from Google in Toronto, with a source tag source=Google, and had
to revert it. After searching in taginfo, I found all these other
instances of data copied from Google, such as some data in Paris that
was tagged as coming from Google Street View (I deleted it).

I have contacted the Data Working Group, they ought to do a better job
deleting the data than I can.