[OSM-talk] Data copied from Google Maps

Janko Mihelić janjko at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 14:07:46 GMT 2012

2012/11/6 Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com>

> It's because on StreetView, we don't "trace" on the photo. Doing this
> on aerial imagery is reusing the transformation process of images
> rectified (including relief with DEM) and georeferenced. This is the
> "added value" protected. Facts visible on aerial imagery like "the sea
> is blue" is not copyrighted. But coastline position and shape is.

Streetview photos are georeferenced. Google found their position, and gave
it to you. That is how you found them.

Imagine if Google didn't do that, you would have to find your street
amongst billions other Streetview photos. Not possible. So you can't say
you aren't using their referencing process.

Janko