[OSM-talk] How to improve addressing?

Alan grunthos503 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 12 05:51:14 GMT 2012

On Nov 9, 2012, at 2:22 PM, Toby Murray wrote:
> Doing anything in OSM as a single user in an inefficient way of making
> a significant impact.

Yes, I agree completely.  Especially when somebody else (like your county GIS dept) has already done most of the work.

On Nov 11, 2012, at 7:45 PM, Russ Nelson wrote:
> Took my county's tax maps and converted them into an import.
>
> For the most part, the import is quite accurate, and easily fixed when
> wrong.

Yeah, if it works for Google and Zillow, I don't see why it can't work for us also.  Go Russ!

Steve Coast announced a tool for this a while back, called MagicShop FrontDoor at http://frontdoor.cloudapp.net/

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any updated information about it in over a year.  There has been no news about any of the data actually making it into OSM.  Heh, just like Steve didn't wait for Ordnance Survey to hand over the road data, I guess we shouldn't wait for Bing to hand us the addresses either.

- Alan