[OSM-talk] minutely update DB

sly (sylvain letuffe) liste at letuffe.org
Mon Nov 12 13:21:08 GMT 2012

On lundi 12 novembre 2012, ciprian niculescu wrote:
> Hello,

Hi,

> I'm wondering why it don't exist the possibility to have minutely updates
> (or hourly) for a country?

Short answer : because no one bothered to provide that for all countries.

Medium size answer : It does exists for some areas as christian pointed to.
And a process exists to generate those, still, what is missing is someone to
run it on a (several) server(s) and provide minutely diffs extracts.

Longer answer : The motivation might be low to provide such a service, low to
keep pushing forward that way of doing because it isn't really flexible (You
might need country X, but someone else will need country Y and some other
will need an arbitrary area) while there are other ways to achieve the same
result, for example using
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_API/Augmented_Diffs
to split diffs at consumer side.
Tought, there isn't (AFAIK) tools to handle that now.

> I don't know what implies to make it. As far as i understand OSM to
> host/distribute hourly diff for country, it's something like:
> - do a minutely/hourly updates for the planet => result the planet.osm
> - do a split of the planet.osm on the polygons of the country
> - do a diff between the old-osm-contry and the new one => results the
> hourlly diff for the country
>
> Is this process wright?
That's one possible workflow for such a process (working directly on
planet.osm files however won't go anywhere due to time needed to process the
planet file IMHO, but storing it into some more indexed format, why not)

The other workflow would be to rely on special diffs (like Augmented_Diffs)
and split those diffs according to your needs.
The generation of planet Augmented Diffs beeing dedicated to some servers
while consumers splits at client side.

--
sly
qui suis-je : http://sly.letuffe.org