[OSM-talk] [HOT] Problem with an Etrex 20

Tim Waters chippy2005 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 11:58:51 GMT 2012

On 20 November 2012 00:03, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone compared the etrex20 to the gpsmap 60Csx regarding
> positional accuracy? Recently got strange problems on my 60Csx (can
> turn it on, but when turned off it won't switch on again unless I
> remove the batteries for a second, and I suspect it also continues to
> consume electricity while "turned off". Another issue which appeared
> at the same time: when I switch it on, "show on road" is always turned
> on which is not suitable for OSM track recording, and I think to
> recall that before this setting was "remembered" by the device).
>
> I fear it will break completely the next time so was looking for a new
> device and spotted the etrex 20. Would you recommend it for track
> recording?

It works nicely for me. It appears to remember the setting for "show
on road" etc. And the battery life is wonderful - it can also take the
standard AA batteries, which are widely available. I'm not sure about
accuracy, but it improved when I turned it on to use the GLOSNASS.
Before that, it was a bit inaccurate when I carried it in my pocket.

Cheers,

Tim