[OSM-talk] fences, trees and houses

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 17:48:12 GMT 2012

2012/11/21 Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com>:
> Hi Robin,
>
> one aspect which I think people forget when doing detailed mapping, is data
> maintenance in the future. It is very nice to have good and detailed data,
> but they become useless over time if not maintained. The more data you
> record, the bigger the maintenance task.
> I personally prefer good, but less detailed data covering larger areas to
> very detailed data restricted to small areas.

actually site property limits (at least in Europe for built-up areas,
but I guess mostly everywhere else as well) are much more stable than
most of the stuff we usually map in Openstreetmap (e.g. shops,
restaurants, cycleways, etc.). I agree that good data coverage is
desirable, but if a mapper has fun mapping his surroundings in highest
detail, let them do it.

cheers,
Martin