[OSM-talk] What to call OSM data?

Joseph Reeves iknowjoseph at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 14:18:19 GMT 2012

Apologies for bringing up imports on the list. At least I didn't mention
the license change though! ;)

>That's not wrong either, but not precise enough to distinguish a project
>such as OSM from e.g. governments' Open Data efforts.

Continuing to play Devil's Advocate, I think this is just an issue of
imagination scope: Why do we need to distinguish OSM from governments' Open
Data efforts? Does that bring us any benefit? Are you trying to highlight a
difference of scale or is there one type of "Open" that's different from
some "other Open"?

I'd like to imagine a future scenario in which a country's National Mapping
Agency decides that OSM is going to be the official source of geographic
data. As an NMA contributes and maintains data within OSM, the
"crowdsourced" argument becomes weaker and the "Open" word becomes more
important.

Cheers, Joseph