[OSM-talk] [HOT] Problem with an Etrex 20

Pierre Béland infosbelas-gps at yahoo.fr
Fri Nov 30 13:13:31 GMT 2012

I prefer the solution to use an SD adapter were I insert the micro-SD and connect directly to the computer.

Pierre

>________________________________
> De : Jean-Marc Liotier <jm at liotier.org>
>À : Kevin Peat <k at k3v.eu>
>Cc : Talk Openstreetmap <talk at openstreetmap.org>; hot <hot at openstreetmap.org>; "talk-eurosha-osm at googlegroups.com" <talk-eurosha-osm at googlegroups.com>
>Envoyé le : Vendredi 30 novembre 2012 4h32
>Objet : Re: [HOT] [OSM-talk]  Problem with an Etrex 20
>

>On 19/11/2012 20:50, Kevin Peat wrote:
>
>On Nov 19, 2012 7:32 PM, "Tim Waters" <chippy2005 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The supplied cable is a small one, about 1ft long, if that
        helps.
>>Same here, I have a 20 and it only mounts with the supplied cable which is about 15cm.
On a some forums I noticed a few reports of Garmin devices misbehaving with standard USB cables - for example charging but not supporting data transfer. As far as I could find, this does not look like Garmin misimplementing the USB specification at the electrical level but could be an issue with Garmin connectors just fitting better : some other cables might connect the VBUS wire and maybe the ground wire correctly, thus powering the device while sometimes having at least one of the other pins loose - thus interfering with data transfer.

>Try with the Garmin cable to test this hypothesis. If the data
    transfer succeeds, then testing other cables might be interesting to
    determine what connector shapes hinder proper seating.