[OSM-talk] Multilingual maps demo

Pierre Béland infosbelas-gps at yahoo.fr
Fri Nov 30 15:42:42 GMT 2012

Jochen

This is very interesting more particulary in areas of the world were we do not recognize the alphabets.

I tried it in Syria were default names are in arabic. If there is a correspondance for the language I select it is ok. Otherwise, the default name is kept. And  there are many areas around the world were we are analphabets not knowing the characters.

This brings the concept of languages proximity and establishing a priority in selecting language to show when there is no name for your selected language. For instance, if french or italian or spanish is not available, english should be showed before arabic, russian, etc. if it is in the list of names.

Pierre