[OSM-talk] Door to door routing to buildings with multiple occupants

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 23:35:23 GMT 2012

2012/11/30 Rob Nickerson <rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com>:
> I was aware of key:entrance but building:part was new to me so thanks for
> letting me know about that one. In regards to the following, can you please
> explain a little more about _how_ to map these. For example, I understand 1a
> but what nodes/ways/closed ways are you suggesting tagging in 1b and 2a?
> 1a) a node for the shop floating inside the building
> 1b) like 1a but part of the outline
> 2a) a multipolygon with the building as outer
> 2b) an explicit polygon overlapping with the building

actually I wouldn't suggest 1b (see above) because I'd consider it
slightly wrong from a topologic point of view. I would use 1a or 2a in
the case that the outline of the POI is the same as the building
outline.

In 2a) you make a relation, type multipolygon, and add tags for the
poi to this (name, amenity, etc.), then you add the way that delimits
the POI (i.e. a closed way, the building polygon) with the role
"outer" to the relation.

> Sounds like a building with 2 shops would best be mapped as 3 closed ways -
> 1 for the building, and 2 inside the building that give the position of the
> shop and are tagged with amenity=*, name=*, addr (and optionaly
> building:part=yes). These 2 inner closed ways are likely to share boundaries
> with the builiding closed way and with each other. Would you tend to agree?

yes, for 2 shops on the same floor, otherwise we should add the floor
level to the POI-objects. Most people according to current mapping
practise would rather add 2 floating nodes somewhere inside the
building polygon I think.

cheers,
Martin