[OSM-talk] Semi-automated edits - postal code database

Christian Quest cquest at openstreetmap.fr
Thu Oct 4 08:58:02 BST 2012

2012/10/4 Jochen Topf <jochen at remote.org>:
> And, btw, you should not use the associatedStreet relation. It solves the same
> problem as the addr:street tags on nodes and buildings but in a much more
> complicated way. The overwhelming majority of all addresses are tagged with
> addr:street (there are nearly 15 million addr:street tags vs. only 18.000
> associatedStreet relations).

Direct comparison of number of addr:street tags and associatedStreet
relations is not that simple.
How many addresses are behind the associatedStreet relations ?

For example in France, we currently have:
- 27730 associatedStreet relations
- 472941 members with the "house" role
- 395895 on 761051 nodes (52%) and 78541 on 187193 ways (42%) with
"addr:housenumber" in these relations, so a total of 50% of addresses
are in associatedStreet relations.

This is also due to JOSM plugin we use to simplify creating addresses
which automatically takes care of all the associatedStreet relation
stuff.
We also developed quality assurance analysis on our "osmose" tool to
make sure the addresses are coherent (unique addr:number in one
relation, unique relation for one addr:street in a town, limited
distance between addr:housenumber nodes/ways and the street highway,
etc).

--
Christian Quest - OpenStreetMap France - http://openstreetmap.fr/u/cquest