[OSM-talk] Activity Stream (a.k.a. "social" OSM) - demo instance

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Mon Oct 15 17:51:06 BST 2012

Am 15.10.2012 18:17, schrieb Paweł Paprota:
> When you zoom in to a small area there is indeed no activities in many
> places - there is only ~8000 activities in the database at this point,
> replication is still in progress.
>
> As for the translation - I have added an English one but for some reason
> it is not being picked up in Javascript, so it's a bug. But for now I
> would propose to ignore the "details" and focus on the concept, such as
> for example:
>
> * Is presentation as a separate tab and on the user page useful?
IMHO the separate tabs on osm.org are a little bit fuzzy in their
concept, yet.
We have tabs for search, data details, map key, export and your proposed
activities.
The Tab concept as it's used currently lacks combination possibilities:
It's not possible to show any combination of tabs, which would be useful
especially for the activity stuff.
I personally don't want to actively crawl the activity, but have it at
hand while using osm.org as a mapper; keep it open and see what happend
while diving into a data detail with the data tab or exporting an image.

But as long as there's nothing changed in what we have now, well... it's
one simple and fitting possibility, that doesn't harm the current page ;)
(to make that clear: the feature itself is cool, that doesn't harm, I'm
talking about the implentation as tab here only).
> * Do you think commenting on activities would be a useful feature?
For blog posts I think we have that already, which raises the question
if that should be something on the activity stream or on the activity
itself at source side.
You proposed yet
- diary entries: these have comments already. I think, it should be
possible to show them, probably to add them, but comments should be
attatched to the blog, not to the activity server here.
- new mappers in your area: commenting? I would like to see a link to
send them a osm message instead.
- OSM Tasking Manager: not sure, don't know much about it.
- events: shouldn't comments go to the wiki page etc. where they are
pulled from?
- help.osm.org: a link to provide that help would be better (again
direct at the help system)
- ponies: no comment (please ;) )

regards
Peter