[OSM-talk] Obscure African dirt tracks in Google Maps - how does Google records them ? Automated tracing ?

Janko Mihelić janjko at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 13:01:36 BST 2012

2012/10/16 Mike N <niceman at att.net>

>  Is there any Smartphone coverage for those areas?  Google can track via
> their Smartphone apps.  By generating tracks from the owner's movements, a
> road can be inferred.   A consistent set of movements on a track at 20-40
> kph would indicate a dirt road.
>
> I don't think so. Road grids look to clean for GPS. If you enter Map
Maker, you see it's drawn by a user Brigitte
<https://www.google.com/mapmaker?gw=66&uid=210635466236870940095>but when I
search through her edits, I only find roads in USA. I think this is bought
data from a commercial mapping company.

Look at this example: http://goo.gl/maps/44dPQ

Nobody would draw a road through that. That was probably drawn before that
garden was built.

Janko