[OSM-talk] [OSM-talk-fr] Continued aggression against French contributors (cadastre integration)

Christian Quest cquest at openstreetmap.fr
Thu Oct 18 22:28:56 BST 2012

2012/10/18 Eric Marsden <eric.marsden at free.fr>:

>   fr> If I do that, would that change the attitude towards the "separate
>   fr> account" question, or would it be a a waste of time?
>
>   Frederik, you are focussing on the technical ramifications of this
>   rather narrow "separate account" issue, but in fact, as many of us
>   have tried to explain multiple times, the real issues are more
>   fundamental:
>
>   - the legitimacy of the OSMF DWG concerning monitoring of imports (and
>     blocking accounts on this basis) is unclear. The DWG mandate, as per
>     its web page on OSMF's web site, does not include monitoring
>     imports. I have seen no deliberation of the OSMF board giving DWG
>     the right to block contributors (who are clearly neither sabotaging
>     the data nor making foolish beginners' mistakes) on the basis of its
>     interpretations of import guidelines (please look up the meaning of
>     the word "guidelines").
>
>   - the process which led the DWG to decide that a separate account
>     shall be necessary is absolutely opaque. A normal process for such
>     as change would be to explain your motivations, request feedback
>     from contributors (for instance via the talk mailing list), then
>     document the motivations and consequences on the wiki. You have only
>     documented this "requirement", which seems pulled out of your hat.
>
>   - the way in which DWG is undertaking its monitoring+blocking, by
>     sending aggressive messages to contributors in a language which they
>     can be presumed not to understand, seemed pretty autistic at first,
>     and now seems arrogant and bigoted. Indeed, DWG members have continued
>     in the same way despite repeated attempts to explain the negative
>     impact that this is having on well-meaning contributors.
>
>   - the way in which DWG has ignored proposals from French contributors
>     to help act as intermediaries in this respect makes it look like you
>     wish to avoid the constitution of well-structured local/national
>     communities, when (in my opinion) this is a major challenge for the
>     next years of Openstreetmap's growth.
>
>   Note that none of these issues are specific to the "French community",
>   but concern OSMF governance, its values, its processes and its degree
>   of respect for local communities and for contributors. I have seen no
>   effort to address these issues, but rather significant avoidance of
>   our numerous messages asking for answers. Please consider changing
>   that.

Thank you Eric to bring governance back to its center place.

That was my original questions some times ago, but it has been turned
into a cadastre endless pros/cons talk which helped a lot not
answering those important questions. That was a month ago and most
questions are still the same because unanswered.

On Sept 18th (one month ago already)
Frederik wrote:
> DWG has also been looking for someone from France to join its ranks in order
> to better liaise with the French community in case of problems like this but
> we haven't had any applications.

and I answered: "I confirm you have one application, mine."

I later confirmed my application (upon request) together with sly
almost two weeks ago (Oct. 5th)... without any answer so far.
Should I send it again ? Have you received it ?

--
Christian Quest - OpenStreetMap France - http://openstreetmap.fr/u/cquest