[OSM-talk] [OSM-talk-fr] Continued aggression against French contributors (cadastre integration)

Jérome Armau jerarmau at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 22:34:37 BST 2012

Keep in mind that we're trying to make the openstreetmap project accessible
to a larger share of the population. In every single country, that means
appealing to a non-computer-geek crowd. For example, the usage of "-Djosm.
home=<dir>" is dark magic to most people. Even though it's acceptable to
most users of this list who are well used to the inner workings of their
computer system, it's just plain wrong to advise any non-power-user to do
this.

In non-English-speaking countries, that also means that the average
contributor:
- does not have a very good command of English (beyond the tagging
standards)
- does not know about services such as Google translate

I'm confident a significant portion of French, German, Italian and Spanish
contributors are in this case. These people are not represented on this
mailing list, but need to be taken into account in these decisions.