[OSM-talk] Governance (again, sorry)

Christian Quest cquest at openstreetmap.fr
Fri Oct 19 02:24:40 BST 2012

Le 19 octobre 2012 02:31, Cartinus <cartinus at xs4all.nl> a écrit :
> So that's basically another iteration of we're French, we're different.
>
> Yes, we know you have a different culture, but even in France bits come
> in two flavors 0 and 1. And universal truths like "garbage in is garbage
> out" are really universal.
>
> So again no real argument why when a Frenchmen uploads thousands of
> buildings a day he is doing something really different than someone of a
> different nationality doing the same.

But the issue is on layer higher... governance.
The rule by itself is not the point, it is just an example.

Who decides hard rules ?
How ?
Where ?

I've searched on mailing lists, wiki, wiki discussions, minutes (when
available)... I found nothing.

It look to me that a small group of people created new rules and had
no legitimacy for that.
No publicity has been made about it as far as I know and now the
discussions end to "this is the rule".

Is this the future of OSMF and/or DWG ? I hope not.

What will be the next hard rule that will be decided without publicity
without really involving the communities, without searching a
consensus ?

--
Christian Quest - OpenStreetMap France - http://openstreetmap.fr/u/cquest